February 12, 2015

Crocheted Flowers for Valentine's Day

After the craze with loom bands, I found myself hooked with crocheting. I have done coasters and doilies since I went back to the hobby a couple of months ago.


I am now trying my hands on home decorations and hair accessories. I am watching this video on how to crochet flowers when my daughter suggested to make some and she will give it to her teacher on Valentine's Day, instead of buying a gift for her.


I have ran out of red yarns so I just made three roses of different shades of pink. I also made some revisions on the sepal pattern. I used a bigger stitch because I thought it was too small for the flower. Likewise, I found the leaves too small for the flower so I searched for another pattern until I came across this green leaf pattern from Lakeview Cottage.

Similarly, I cannot find a green floral wire in the craft store near our place so I just bought a thin aluminum wire, cut it to the desired length, and wrapped it with a green crepe paper. It was a little time-consuming but it looked like a green floral wire anyway. I felt that the time spent was worth it.

I used a modge podge glue to secure the ends of the wire stem. Then, I used a hot glue gun to hold the flower, sepal, and leaves in place.

Here is a photo of the finished product. This is the first stemmed rose I completed using the pink yarn. I did not take pictures of the other flowers anymore as I thought they will all look the same, except for the color, of course!

I was too much in a hurry to finish the bouquet that I forgot to take a photo of them. It was a good thing my princess reminded me to take a photo of her while holding the three roses as soon as I handed it to her. She will be giving it to her teacher the next morning so we might miss the chance of a photo opportunity afterwards.


My husband also loved the flower so he requested me to make some for his staff, which he intends to give on Monday since they do not have office on weekends. With this development, I am now thinking of doing more on my free time and sell them on Valentine's Day next year. Do you think that is a good business idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment